Thursday, August 2, 2012

Random Rant: Dust Jackets

I hate dust jackets on books. HATE THEM. They cause nothing but trouble. If you leave it on whilst reading, it constantly slides off or awkwardly bends and makes God-awful noises against the actual book. They are generally made of some kind of horrible sandpapery/waxy/matte material that makes me cringe every time skin comes in contact with it. I know what you're thinking: "Quit whining and take the jacket off! Geez what's wrong with you?" Yes, I can take the cover off, but then what do I do with it?? Where do I put all the discarded dust jackets? Do I need a special drawer designated for such things? Shall I hoard boxes of dust jackets in the attic? What if I live in an apartment without an attic? Where will the box of dust jackets go?? Throwing them away is just another anxiety-inducing option. If I throw them out, they're gone forever. What if one day I have an enormous yard sale with a table display full of fantastic books? Does the value of the book decrease exponentially without the jacket? What if I desperately need that extra 10 cents the dust jacket could yield?

It's a conundrum, y'all. It's also why I'm a big fan of Penguin Group publisher's line of decorative books.

Image courtesy of Penguin Group

They're sassy in the buff, without the burden of a stupid jacket. Someone at Penguin understands me.