Monday, May 14, 2012

The Britney Factor

It was announced today that Britney Spears will join Demi Lovato, Simon Cowell and LA Reid on "The X Factor." I have never actually seen this show, but the addition of Britney will definitely have me watching this season.

Now, I'm not one of those crazy Britney fanatics who has posters of her everywhere and saves chewed gum that she once supposedly discarded. I'm no Chris Crocker, but I do love me some Britney Spears. It's true. If loving Britney is wrong then I don't wanna be right. And here's why:

First of all, she sang the soundtrack of my preadolescence (read: "Oops!... I Did It Again").

Secondly, she's from Louisiana, y'all! Not just Louisiana, but Kentwood. Theoretically, if Britney had slept through her Mickey Mouse Club audition, today she would probably be the star of "Swamp People." That's a great image - "Choot 'em, Britney!"

And finally, she is the definition of resilience. Just when you think she's out for the count, she comes back better and blonder than ever. I mean, come on. Who has a full-blown meltdown, goes in and out of rehab, shaves her head, attacks an SUV with an umbrella, is forcibly hospitalized and then pops back up a few months later with fresh extensions and a world tour? So when I spill my coffee and feel like the world is ending, I think to myself, "Britney survived 2007. I can survive Monday."

So yeah, I may have bumped Britney to the top of my prayer list back in 2007 and since then have had a (completely one-sided) bond with her. If she wants to be the next lovable, yet totally delusional Paula Abdul, well I support her. If nothing else, I hope that reported $15 million they're paying her to do this show will pay for a lifetime supply of her crazy pills. I'm rooting for you, Brit!